I’m calling this a quick regency dress because there wasn’t a lot of planning ahead or blogging during steps, fitting was easy because I’ve used the pattern before, and the event I’m wearing it to is next week!
The pattern is Butterick B6074 view B, with minor modifications. The fabric is a printed silk taffeta from my stash.
The bodice is gathered in the front, and the stiffness of the taffeta gives the bust more fullness than I have in real life. 😉
The pattern has drawstring closures at the neckline and waistline, which is period, but I prefer hooks and eyes when the fabric is not a soft cotton.
If you’re curious about how to put in hooks and eyes to minimize gapping, I have the hooks away from the edge, and the eyes sticking over the edge. (Some people also alternate hooks and eyes on each side. I am lazy, and also wanted to use up the last few inches of hook and eye tape that I had).
I serged the armscye and bottom of the bodice to keep them neat. The shoulder straps are sewn in by hand. Here’s an inside look at the dress.
I have a pelisse that I will be wearing over this if the weather is cold, so I admit to be a little sloppy in some of my construction, but eh, I find most people are too distracted by pretty fabric to care. =)
I also made a matching reticule, with my leftover fabric and lining. I made the tassel out of some thick thread.
- 5 yards printed silk taffeta: $38 including shipping from a destash group; I have about 2 yards left over
- Pattern: $0, already used for another dress
- Bodice lining: $0, scraps from another project
- Skirt lining: 2 yards cotton voile: ~$13 with tax and shipping (purchased with other items from Dharma Trading Co.)
- Thread, lace scrap, and hooks and eyes: ~$5 from stash
- Silk ribbon: $0, left over from another project
Total: ~$56 (even less if I sell the leftover 2 yards of taffeta to recoup some costs). Not bad for a silk dress!
I look forward to wearing this print! Simple, but cute.