RSS Feed

Monthly Archives: March 2021

2020 Costuming Year in Review

March is a little late in 2021 to do a 2020 costuming year in review, but I wanted to make sure everything I made had its own blog post you could refer back to for more detail!

As my first finished costume of the year, I had a lot of fun wearing my 1870s bustle dress (photo by John Carey Photographic Imagery).

My next ensemble and last event for a while was this vintage style cowgirl outfit featuring split riding pants/skirt.

Once the world went into lockdown I made a cozy 1920s sweater out of knit fabrics:

I finished my Ravenclaw Jedi Librarian costume plus her tools:

I did a mini capsule with a plaid blouse, shorts, and cape during the spring and summer:

During the summer I made this 1930s floral blouse and sporty shorts combo:

For the the Singer Cosplay Costume Contest I made this 18th century inspired Belle costume:

My Halloween outfit was this Edwardian/Victorian pumpkin witch costume:

For winter I made this wool 1910s Edwardian wool suit with a bit of Hufflepuff flavor:

And the last project of 2020 were these vintage-style purple silk satin pajamas:

I’ve already got a lot of ideas for 2021!

You can also check out my 2019 Costuming Year in Review here!

Vintage-Style Purple Silk Satin Pajamas

I was in the mood to make something comfortable, yet luxurious for my last winter 2020 project. March may be a little late to document my last finished project of 2020 but I had a bit of of backlog to get through. My next post will be the 2020 Costuming Year in Review (finally!)

IMG_4678

I used the Wearing History 1930s day or evening blouse for the top. (I previously used the short sleeve version of the pattern for the my floral blouse). For the bottoms I used the Gertie Harlow Pajamas pattern.

IMG_4658

To make the Wearing History pattern suitable for PJs you’ll want to cut a larger size so that it is loose. I also cut the bottom of the sleeves a little wider. (In the original you have tapered sleeves and buttons at the cuffs and I didn’t want that for PJs). I didn’t have any buttons that were right so I used snap closures. (In the original pattern the front closes with a placket and hooks and eyes, so you’ll want to add a little extra fabric for the overlap if you use buttons or snaps). I also added some black lace appliqu├ęs to the shoulders.

IMG_4589

I purchased 4 yards of 53″ wide purple silk satin and had enough left over to cut out a camisole and still have a large remnant piece. I bought the satin on eBay but the last time I checked the seller seems to not be around anymore.

I wore black bedroom slippers with a big fuzzy pompom for a fun touch. IMG_4695

This was a fun project to round out 2020. It was nice to have something that was both glamorous and comfortable!