RSS Feed

Monthly Archives: July 2014

Costume College is Coming!

There is less than one week left until Costume College! I was unexpectedly sick for a while, then busy with work, so I did not get everything I wanted to completed. However, I am not too disappointed since I do have two new outfits, and I have plenty of old stuff to wear. I think it is a good use of my remaining time to try on outfits and accessories to make sure everything is complete, then pack as I go, to reduce my worry that I’ll show up and realize I’ve forgotten the matching stockings or shoes for a particular outfit.

My tentative plan:

Thursday: Arrive, unpack and put on a retro sailor-themed outfit for the pool party. But which one!? I realized that I have 4 nautical-themed dresses, and that’s only because I sold one. If I count navy-colored dresses I have 6, I think.

Friday: Wear Regency during the daytime and my 1830s Romantic gown for the evening ice cream social. I heard the rooms are AC’d so I hope it’s not too hot to wear my pelisse and bonnet.

Saturday: Wear my WWII-era women’s baseball uniform during the day and 18th century during the evening gala. (I made a waistcoat, but did not finish the embroidery on the frock coat or start the pants, so I am deciding whether to wear my old 18th century male drag outfit, or silk mini-length sack back).

Sunday: Put on a kimono wrapper over casual clothes for Sunday Undies breakfast, then take off the wrapper and run to my morning class on mechanical wings. (It might be messy, so I don’t want to dress too nicely, and didn’t have time to make my steampunk mechanic jumper). After class I’ll get dressed for the tea party. I am wearing a 1920s outfit, and deciding between my pink/green dress and cloche, or white/green dress with big hat.



Regency Pelisse

I have finished my navy Regency pelisse that goes with my bonnet.


There are no progress shots to share since sometimes I worked on this for literally a few minutes here and there over the past year. Sometimes all I had time to do was sew on a hook and eye.


The fabric is a jacquard woven with a subtle diamond pattern. I’m not sure of the fiber content since I found it as a remnant. I’m sure it’s at least partially synthetic, but I liked the texture.

The lining is gold and cream jacquard, and the sleeves are lined with satin. The coat is military-inspired, with cream braid down the front, on the belt and sleeves cuffs, and around the edges of the pointed collar. The front and back are decorated with gold-colored and faux pearl buttons, but the coat closes with hooks and eyes. The belt has a golden buckle.


I used the Sense and Sensibility “Regency Spencer Jacket and Pelisse Pattern” as a starting point, but made new sleeves and collar. (A quick note about this pattern: I was disappointed to find it is not actually a pelisse pattern, although it is advertised as such. It is really a spencer jacket pattern only, with some instructions telling you to just add a skirt to lengthen it. Although that wasn’t terribly difficult to do, when I buy a pattern it is because I want to pay someone else to do the math).

The pelisse has some wrinkles to work out, but overall I am pretty pleased with it, and plan to wear it to Costume College.


I still have to paint some shoes to match, but I think it will look nice with the bonnet.

bonnet side

Project cost (not including bonnet materials):

– 3 yards fabric: $29.99 + tax

– pattern: $12 + $3 shipping

– 8 yards braid: $7.60 + tax

lining, interfacing, buttons, thread, hooks and eyes: from the stash

Less than $60. Not bad.