Yes, it’s summer but I’m planning to make a wool riding habit. I have some lovely light blue wool that’s been in my stash for a few years and I finally figured out what to do with it.
I found this pattern for a riding habit.
I have this beautiful woven fabric a friend gave me years ago, and I think I have just enough for the waistcoat underneath.
I’ve cut out the paper pattern pieces and I appreciate that it’s on a nice thick paper, instead of the usual flimsy tissue. However, I can already tell there is something wrong with the pattern. The pieces look rather large in comparison to the advertised size.
The body of the jacket consists of 2 back pieces, 2 side pieces and 2 front pieces. I made a mock-up and it was so ridiculously large that I tried it without the side pieces to see what it was like. This is how much the front pieces overlap without even including the side pieces of the bodice. I don’t see how the jacket is supposed to be small enough to reveal some of the vest. Right now, this pattern has about an extra foot of fabric in it (if the side pieces are included). It looks like I will have to completely recut the jacket, which somewhat negates the convenience of a pattern.
Beautiful fabric… cannot wait to see this one finished.
Pingback: 18th Century Riding Habit (Part 2) « Fresh Frippery