In June I am going to the GBACG Tissot Bustle Picnic, but I do not have time to make a new bustle dress from scratch.
I am going to recycle an old dress into a newer one, which will hopefully leave me time to make accessories like a matching hat and reticule.
A few years ago I made a simple polonaise-inspired dress. It was a little sad and limp. I think I may have only wore it once because I am having trouble finding decent pictures of it. Here is one my friend Kim took:
I recently realized it might have a fresh new life as a bustle dress. I experimented with 3 different sizes of bustle pads and decided on a medium one:
I tucked it up on each side, added a petticoat and it’s already looking more bustle-y!
I did not have enough of the linen toile fabric when I made it to do pattern-matching, but I still have a few scraps left. (I had about 2.5 yards of 45″ fabric). I am going to do some fiddling around with the leftover pieces of fabric to add some more frill to the back, and also experiment some more with tucking and pinning.