My Downton Abbey Edwardian maid outfit is finished! It was actually completed last week, but I didn’t have time to take and post photos.
Here are the front, side, and back views with the apron on:
Here is the dress by itself. Although I originally thought of using wool, I ended up using black Kaufman Kona cotton, which I found to be decently thick, and a good value. I made the fabric-covered buttons using a button cover kit.
I used Butterick B6229 pattern for the dress (but not the apron), which I recommend. I found the pattern to be true to size, and the pieces fit together nicely. I used the pattern mostly as-is, with a few small changes:
- I made the cuffs smaller. I found them to be disproportionately large compared to my small hands.
- I shortened the height of the collar. If I followed the pattern the collar would be rather tall, and cover most of my neck. Although you can find old photos of Edwardian maids with similarly high collars, I wanted the shorter collars featured on the show.
- I lengthened the belt an inch or two; I found it a little short.
For the headpiece I sewed two pieces of antique lace together and gathered the center.
I sewed wig clips to the back to hold them in my hair. Project total costs:
- Antique lace: $16.95 + $2.50 shipping (from Etsy)
- Butterick pattern: $12.50 + $5.58 shipping and tax (from butterick.com)
- 5 yards black Kaufman Kona cotton: $24.82 including tax (It’s normally $5.98/yard from Fabric.com but I had a coupon, free shipping bundled with other items, and a bonus half yard for free)
- 3 yards white cotton broadcloth: $8.24 including tax (normally $2.98/yard at Fabric.com)
- Button cover kit: $5.75 + $2.25 shipping (from Etsy; I still have buttons left over)
Total cost: $78.59. (I still have 2 yards white cotton, and a lot of lace and buttons left over for another project).
Fantastic. All the work you put in shows because all together it is perfect.
Thank you! I don’t think it’s perfect, but it’s very nice of you to say. =)
This is amazing! I love the detail, especially the horizontal pleats/pintucks.
Thank you! I’m very glad you like it!
It turned out perfectly! The apron is the show stopper, but the line of matching buttons down the front of the dress is very handsome. Great job!
Thank you very much for your kind comments! The buttons took a while, but I like how they turned out.
Oh my heavens!! This is so fabulous! It looks like a dress from the wardrobe dept from Downton Abbey Vivien!! I want the apron by the way…. It looks very antique!! Can’t wait to see it on you!
Thank you Gina! That’s so sweet of you to say! I look forward to seeing you at Costume College, too!
I love how this turned out, it looks gorgeous! Can’t wait to see it on you!
Thank you Gabriela! This outfit will make its debut at Costume College, which is just 2 weeks away!
Pingback: Victorian Bathing Suit | Fresh Frippery
Pingback: Costume College 2015 Friday | Fresh Frippery
Pingback: 2015 Year in Review | Fresh Frippery
The costume is beautiful, I was wondering if by any chance you would sell it.
Hi Sara, thanks for your interest but it’s not for sale at this time. I did make it from an easily available pattern so you may be able to find someone else to make you one!
If you ever would sell that dress I would like to buy it
Hi Mary thanks for your interest but this costume is not for sale at this time. I still plan to wear it. =)
Pingback: 1660s Cavalier Dress | Fresh Frippery
Pingback: Edwardian Dress at the Monet Exhibit at the de Young Museum (Plus Butterick B6229 Pattern Hack) | Fresh Frippery