My Downton Abbey Edwardian maid outfit is finished! It was actually completed last week, but I didn’t have time to take and post photos.
Here are the front, side, and back views with the apron on:
Here is the dress by itself. Although I originally thought of using wool, I ended up using black Kaufman Kona cotton, which I found to be decently thick, and a good value. I made the fabric-covered buttons using a button cover kit.
I used Butterick B6229 pattern for the dress (but not the apron), which I recommend. I found the pattern to be true to size, and the pieces fit together nicely. I used the pattern mostly as-is, with a few small changes:
- I made the cuffs smaller. I found them to be disproportionately large compared to my small hands.
- I shortened the height of the collar. If I followed the pattern the collar would be rather tall, and cover most of my neck. Although you can find old photos of Edwardian maids with similarly high collars, I wanted the shorter collars featured on the show.
- I lengthened the belt an inch or two; I found it a little short.
For the headpiece I sewed two pieces of antique lace together and gathered the center.
- Antique lace: $16.95 + $2.50 shipping (from Etsy)
- Butterick pattern: $12.50 + $5.58 shipping and tax (from butterick.com)
- 5 yards black Kaufman Kona cotton: $24.82 including tax (It’s normally $5.98/yard from Fabric.com but I had a coupon, free shipping bundled with other items, and a bonus half yard for free)
- 3 yards white cotton broadcloth: $8.24 including tax (normally $2.98/yard at Fabric.com)
- Button cover kit: $5.75 + $2.25 shipping (from Etsy; I still have buttons left over)
Total cost: $78.59. (I still have 2 yards white cotton, and a lot of lace and buttons left over for another project).